Current PB's

  • Marathon - 3:54:26
  • , Half Marathon - 1:27:41
  • , 10K - 42:32
  • , 5K - 19:47

Sunday 3 October 2010

Scottish Kilomathon 2010

Today was the first running of the Scottish Kilomathon and only the second time the distance had ever been raced after the first one took place in Derby earlier in the year. The Kilomathon was billed as a 'metric marathon' of 26.2 kilometres or 16.3 miles.


I don't know why, but for some reason I just couldn't get 'excited' for this race in the same way that I did for the Great North run a couple of weeks ago, or for any of my other races actually. Usually in the lead up to a race I meticulously plan everything, from a race strategy that will ensure I reach the goal i've set to planning my journey to the start to ensure I get there in plenty of time. I didn't do any of that this time.


In fact the title of this post was almost "I'm An Idiot" I had set myself a target of finishing inside 2 hours and for some reason I thought that 8 minute miles would get me that target. Given that I'd run the Great North Run at a pace of 7:04/mile I thought I could do that no problem (this was the extent of my strategy for today!). In fact you need to run at under 7:30/mile to get a sub 2 hours for 16.3 miles. It wasn't until around the 6th kilometre today that this fact clicked in my mind! At this point I quickly checked my time and worked out that I could still make it.


My planning for getting to the start could have been better as well. My followers on Twitter will know that at around 0730 this morning I was stuck in traffic, the race started at 0800! I literally parked the car, dropped my bag off and made my way into the start pens! I've run races in my home town where i've been at the start with much more time to spare.


Anyhow onto the race itself. We started from the Highland Showground at Ingliston which is just beside Edinburgh Airport. The start was well organised and we ran around the showground a bit before heading out past the end of the runway. It was pretty cool running alongside the runway whilst planes were taking off. I know i'm going to sound like a kid here but planes still amaze me!


We made our way out through Kirkliston and over the Forth Road Bridge into Fife. Maybe it's just because I stay in Falkirk and our biggest football rivals are Dunfermline (in Fife) but it did seem to get a bit darker, wetter and windier as we crossed into Fife. A bit like approaching Mordor! Thankfully we didn't stay for long and we just turned around and back over the bridge.


After crossing back over the bridge we passed through South Queensferry and then up a really really steep hill. The route then passed through Dalmeny before heading back to Kirkliston and then back to the showground for the finish. The route in general from the bridge back to the finish was really quite hilly.


At 150 metres to go one of the marshalls shouted "only 150 to go, you can kick from here" Easy for you to say I thought! I did however try to pick up the pace a bit and try to catch the runner in front, didn't get him though. I did get 'called in' though. They must have had someone looking up the finishers numbers to get their name and passing it onto the woman on the mic. It was pretty cool having my name called out as I was finishing.


My finish time was 1:58:16 (which was texted to my phone within about 30 minutes of finishing) and my mile splits were 7:22, 7:20, 7:30, 7:28, 7:25, 7:20, 7:16, 7:30, 7:26, 7:21, 7:41, 7:32, 7:21, 7:21, 7:23, 6:53. Pretty even splits which I'm really happy with given the undulating nature of the course. (my Garmin has only measured it at 15.96 miles which is why there are only 16 splits in case you were wondering)


I have to say that I had my concerns about this race and for some reason I wasn't confident that this race was going to be well organised. These concerns I had were completely unfounded and the whole event went really smoothly. I'd recommend the Kilomathon to anyone looking for a slightly longer than half marathon race or for anyone looking for a race as part of their marathon training.


One last thing, when I got back home I heard the sad news that a runner had died during today's event. My thoughts go to his family and friends at this sad time.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh its nice to know my mental maths isn't the only shocking one around here! ;o)

    Great effort Leslie, loving your new blog and enjoying listening to your thoughts :oD

    Can't believe that poor lad died. 25! Awful, really, really sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Leslie.
    I too had concerns about the organisation will save for my blog - but it was all good on the day & the race crew were great the whole way round.

    So sad about that young lad though.

    ReplyDelete