Current PB's

  • Marathon - 3:54:26
  • , Half Marathon - 1:27:41
  • , 10K - 42:32
  • , 5K - 19:47

Sunday 31 October 2010

October 2010

A brief review of October:


No. of days running: 17
Miles run: 117.62
Time on feet: 14:33:38 (which gives an average pace of 7:25/mile for the month)
Races run: 1 (Kilomathon)
PB's: 1 (Kilomathon)
Races entered: 2 (Buchlyvie half marathon, 7/11/10 and Lochaber Marathon, 10/4/11)

I'm really quite happy with how October has finished up training wise. I've included the 'races entered' details above for a couple of reasons. I definitely find it easier to get out the door for a run if I have a race to aim for. After the Kilomathon I didn't have anything in my race calendar. The Buchlyvie half next Sunday is what has helped* me on my way to 117 miles this month but it has also helped me to change the way in which I have been training.

I am aiming for a really fast time (for me) next Sunday. I ran the Great North Run in 1:32:44 and have set myself the challenging target of getting under 1:30 for a half marathon. In order to do this I decided that I had to make some changes to how I was training. I read somewhere recently that if you want your body to change, which I do, I want it to get faster, then your training has to change. In the past three weeks I've made two significant changes to my running. I've included a specific hills session in order to build some more strength in my legs and I've started to run the middle section of my long runs at my target pace for the half marathon.

I have to say that I've really enjoyed these changes (even the hills!) and now that my last long run is in my legs I'm looking forward to a somewhat easier week to get ready for next Sunday now. A sub 1:30 half marathon requires a pace of 6:52/mile from start to finish. I'm not sure I'll manage that next Sunday but should, at the very minimum, get a new PB. If I manage that I'll be happy.

The second race I entered this month was the Lochaber marathon in April of next year. After next Sunday's race I'm going to have a few days (maybe a whole week!) rest and then training for my next assault on the 26.2 miles distance will begin in earnest.

* I said 'helped' as the race is not the sole reason I have put in so much work this month. The friends I have on Twitter and on DailyMile have really helped in that respect. I've been thinking about a blog post on 'motivation' for about a week now but @runningfairy who is one of my friends on Twitter made a much better effort at it than I ever could. It's actually a guest post on the snikt-running blog which belongs to another of my Twitter friends @paulb323 Please check it out, it really is a great post.

3 comments:

  1. Oooo love a stats and summary page, great idea!

    Ah thanks Les, although I'd still love to hear what motivates you to run so bloody fast!

    As I've said to you before, you're so humble and understated and yet your performances are phenomenal. You never patronise me even though I run so much slower and you're always one of the first with encouragement. SO, you're an integral part of that post mr and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more with Runningfairy! A great performer, humble and full of encouragement!

    I'm the same as you re. needing an event to train for, it's def a good motivator. I forgot marathon training should start pretty soon though. Bring on Lochaber!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les - best of luck on Sunday with Buchlyvie half. Every training session I see you post I struggle to comprehend the mile splits you post! Really hoping you get that sub 1hr 30!

    ReplyDelete