Current PB's

  • Marathon - 3:54:26
  • , Half Marathon - 1:27:41
  • , 10K - 42:32
  • , 5K - 19:47

Sunday 24 October 2010

The Marathon

The marathon and I are about to recommence our battle. On Friday night I entered the Lochaber Marathon which takes place on Sunday the 10th of April next year in Fort William. My friend on Twitter, @paulb323, had entered it a couple of weeks ago and asked if anyone else was interested in it. I have to admit that it was a slow burner of an idea at first but it just never went away. Any time I thought about what races I wanted to do next year then the Lochaber Marathon always popped up!


After the disappointment of the London marathon this year I really want to have a go at a smaller marathon to see what I can really do over 26.2 miles. I re-read my race report for the London Marathon again recently and the main issue I had on race day was the amount of people around about me. The Lochaber marathon is limited to 600 runners and is an out and back course along the banks of Loch Eil (so is mostly flat!) To be honest it sounds like the perfect race to really see what you can do over 26.2 miles.


The marathon is such a cruel beast that you really do need everything to come together perfectly on race day if you are to perform to your best. That's why the battle is about to re-commence, I just don't feel like i've given it my best yet. The score at the minute is 1-1! For my first marathon in Edinburgh 2008 I set myself a target of sub 4 hours and managed to get 3:54 so I'm claiming that one as a win. In London this year I wanted to get under 3:45 but struggled round in 4:01, madame marathon can have that one.


Based on recent form, the Vegas odds makers have the marathon in as a big favourite but if I was you I'd stick a fair bit on me for this one.


Marathon, you're going down!

2 comments:

  1. Haha you're goin daaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

    My money's totally on YOU! I *know* you can crack it based on your training performances and I agree you're never going to get a PB at a packed race, add in this flat beauty, and sir, we have a WINNER!!

    Good luck Mr. Marathon's totally gonna have egg on his face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The money is definitely on you Mr S! It promises to be a very nice run indeed. Bring on Lochaber!!

    ReplyDelete